Monday, July 16, 2012

How I Did Not Meet My Husband...Is this oversharing?


My typical Sunday evening consists of my sitting on a big comfy chair furiously trying to get through the a week's worth of newspapers that generally went neglected (Philly Inquirer, WSJ, and the Sunday NYTimes from the prior week).  This Sunday, since it was pretty crappy out I thought I would be exceptionally ambitious and get through this week's Sunday Times, thus leaving me more time during the "work week" to find myself.



Often, being of a certain age, I turn to my girl Carrie (shown above) for some inspiration. In one particularly deep episode of Sex and The City she and the girls were chatting and reading the NYTimes, "There are very few things this New Yorker loves as much as Sunday brunch. You can sleep until noon and still get eggs anywhere in the city, alcohol is often included with the meal, and Sunday is the one day a week you get the single woman's sports pages: the New York Times wedding section."


Yesterday, while completing my required reading I came along to this particular announcement. Tell me what you think? Because you are busy people, I will highlight the sections I thought might have tripped into the realm of possible over sharing..Don't get me wrong, I love a good love story, especially when old people like me are involved.


Maria Lemos and Mario Maccioni


Maria Lemos and Mario Maccioni were married Saturday at the Church of Our Lady of Peace in New York. The Rev. Bartholomew Daly, a Roman Catholic priest and the church’s pastor, performed the ceremony.
Ms. Lemos, who is 47 and is keeping her name, had been a widow since 1992.  (why is 1992 relevant other than she was a widow at 27 years old, sad, but is it a crucial plot element?  Let's see..)She graduated from Colégio Santos Dumont in Rio de Janeiro, and in 2007 and 2008 was the chairwoman of the fund-raising committee for Mount Sinai Medical Center’s annual breast cancer benefit.
She is a daughter of the late Maria Lemos and the late Dr. Claudio Lemos, who lived and worked in Rio de Janeiro. The bride’s father was an otolaryngologist, and her mother was a lawyer, both with private practices.
Mr. Maccioni, also 47, is the vice president of LC International, the restaurant group based in New York that owns the Le Cirque, Circo and Sirio restaurants; his father, Sirio Maccioni, is the founder and an owner, along with the bridegroom’s mother, Egidiana Maccioni. His parents live in New York. The bridegroom oversees its three Las Vegas restaurants. 
He graduated from New York University and received a master’s in hotel and hospitality management from Cornell. His previous marriage ended in divorce. (I wonder when they started adding this fact, but its always in there, when it says previous marriages, I start to worry)
The couple met in May 2010 at NewYork-Presbyterian/Westchester hospital in White Plains, where, Ms. Lemos said, she was being treated for anxiety. The younger Mr. Maccioni was also a patient there, undergoing therapy for depression, he said, after a string of difficult events that included being blinded in one eye in a 2008 paintball accident, a divorce and having to sell the house where he and his ex-wife had raised their family. 
- Okay, time for a divepam sidebar..listen, I met my husband because my dad saw him in his office one day taking his sister to lunch and then stalked my now sister in law down and insisted that her brother meet his daughter.  Yes, yes, he is Italian, and just because I was nearing 28 did not mean I was destined for a life of being a crazy cat lady and living alone, you just don't share with your dad that you may actually be involved in relationships that are none of his business.  He means well, and after some fits and starts we got married...oh wait..this is not my story, this is the story of Maria and Mario.
On the weekend Ms. Lemos arrived, Mr. Maccioni was the only patient in his wing of the hospital. She had resisted checking in to the hospital, since Memorial Day weekend was coming and she was hoping to go to the beach. But she said that Mr. Maccioni persuaded her to stay, recalling that he told her, “Give it a chance.”   (Considering some of my experiences as a single woman at the Princeton on a Friday night in Avalon, NJ, this may not have been the worst decision of her life..)
The two quickly struck up a friendship, working through their issues together. In September 2010, they began dating, and last Valentine’s Day, Mr. Maccioni proposed at one of his family’s restaurants in Las Vegas. THE END...
Really?  You are really going to tell the millions of people (sorry, women and gay men) who read the Sunday New York Times Wedding Section that you met while checked in at the psychiatric ward of a hospital.  Wow, you could say we were introduced by a mutual friend (our psychiatrist)...??
Maybe its just me being cynical..but this is a love story for our times, not just our New York Times...
Oh, and if you were in the same section..did you catch the Tom/Kat breakup story...that girl knows how to work the media - more power to you sister!



1 comment: