Wednesday, July 18, 2012

What Women Really Do At BookClub...

Tonight I will have a small gaggle of girlfriends come over and we will talk about a whole series of things that our husbands have absolutely no interest in.  Tonight is a perfect night to do this at my house, not only because I have central air and its stinking hot out, but my husband is on a "Man-Cation" I looked this word up in Urban Dictionary..there are lots of definitions, here is the one that is probably closest:


Goin on vacation without the presence of women, to do man stuff. Drink beer, shitting with the door open, hunting trips, going to Vegas. All female companions are left behind.


My man is golfing with two guys named Mark.  Lucky for him, no matter how much he drinks he can just say - "Hey Mark, can you hold my hair back while I puke."  Men are cute when they do this.

Back to me..
This is pretty much what we do..yep.  That is it..
 


Tonight I am going to go a little on the wild side and serve Pink Grapefruit Margaritas from the Barefoot Contessa Cookbook.. I made sure to obtain the tequila yesterday in case of severe weather today would knock out all the electricity in the region, thus shutting down the liquor store at the end of the street.  I have made these before..yum..


Pink Grapefruit Margaritas

Copyright 2010, Ina Garten, All Rights Reserved
Prep Time:
5 min
Inactive Prep Time:
--
Cook Time:
--
Level:
Easy
Serves:
4 drinks

Ingredients

  • 1 lime, cut in wedges, optional
  • Kosher salt, optional
  • 1 cup ruby red grapefruit juice
  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (4 limes)
  • 1 cup orange liqueur, such a Triple Sec
  • 2 cups ice
  • 1 cup white tequila

Directions

If you like a salt rim on the glasses, rub the lime around the edge of the glass and then dip the rim of each glass lightly in a plate of kosher salt. Set aside to dry.
Combine the grapefruit juice, lime juice, orange liqueur, and ice in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into a large pitcher and stir in the tequila. If youre not serving the margaritas in salted glasses, stir 1/4 teaspoon of salt into the pitcher of margaritas. Believe me, it will make a difference!
Serve ice cold.
Food..of course we eat...gossiping is hard work..
If I said it once, I will say it a 1000 times, being a mom is not always easy, being a friend of a mom, is not easy either..I saw this and it spoke to me..


Did I mention that it will be hot?  I am a bit obsessed about the weather, in general. That is what happens when you are from Cleveland, where weather just either makes or breaks your day (and this is why I no longer live there.)  I had a job recently (yes), where being ahead of the weather was actually a key component of my role.  I had a weather squad, it was made up of these fantastic people from all over the world, including two guys that served their time in the Israeli Army - they marveled at my keen sense of weather psychosis and preparedness, I said, "In Cleveland, we are the Israeli Army of Weather."  At this juncture, I would be remiss not to cite my totally favorite Weather Blog.  Its full of people who are hung up on weird weather stuff like me - obsessed with snow storms, hurricanes, severe weather alerts and derechos (a newer topic to me). Check them out.
Where am I going with this - oh..food..right..a critical component of any female gathering (unless its shown on tv) - is food.  Tonight I am going with a Clementine and Jicama Salad and Watermelon, Ricotta Salata, Basil and Pine Nut Salad - both from www.epicurious.com.  That web site makes me look like a sassy Main Line Hostess all the time.

Miscellaneous Topics to be Discussed
I will admit that I subscribe to only one Entertainment Like mag...Entertainment Weekly, and there are rules.  I am only allowed to read it if I am a) on the elliptical in the basement while watching Gray's Anatomy (yes, I am many episodes behind) or b) traveling (not in my car).  So last month when I did a trip to Jupiter, Florida to visit family that was mutually visiting this lovely town (Do you know what a Square Grouper is..now I do too - besides being a cool bar?) - Lo and behold - I met this guy on the trip - and HE WANTS ME!
This is an actual photo I took of my Entertainment Weekly because, well I can't seem to throw this in the recycle bin...


So, I saw the movie Magic Mike with my gal pal Melissa last week.  Let me tell you - umm..its a good movie - Channing Tatum is a talented..dancer...and Matthew McConaughey is downright tan, hairless and creepy.  We will likely discuss this.  Here is the review from Slate about this movie...ahh..

Another highly probable topic is Fifty Shades of Grey..

I had to find a picture of the book cover, since I read it on my Kindle, just to be sure everyone else thought I was reading Anna Karenina or Proust.  I can assure you that any woman who has found the time and has the desire, has at least started reading this.  The writing kind of sucks, the story is not that captivating.  But let me tell you - this is about a woman getting what she wants - don't let anyone else sell you a crock of goods on that. 
I am seriously addicted to Slate Culture Gabfests..they make my Wednesdays. So here is a little link to the Audio Book Club talking about Fifty Shades...
Well, I have probably over shared with you at this point.  
So next time some one tells you that they are going to Book Club, don't feel like you are some anti-intellectual, you just were not invited to their little party - but pretend to be interested, and maybe next time you will be "In the Club."










4 comments:

  1. The book club I am part of started out as an all ladies club and now has grown to 12 in number and has 4 men in it (including Roman!) You have probbly seen pictures of our dinners on my Facebook page. Our latest - "Moveable Feast" "dinner" was an all day outing on 2 of the members' boat (it sleeps 6.) We have read some really good stuff and our conversations are always lively but not always about the book. The food is generally in keeping with the theme of the book or it's setting. Maybe you could come visit us! We are currently reading "Cutting for Stone" - I LOVE it. "Shades of Gray" is not on our list, though I may have to read it anyway - just for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Roman can do a book club for two and do a duo reading of Fifty Shades!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just as a follow up..Our book club was short one member, it did not storm, and I will have to make a note to myself that..when I go back to the real world, margaritas on a Wednesday night are not the "best idea."

    ReplyDelete