Sunday, October 14, 2012

Way to stay classy Ann Coulter


 I am going to keep this short...

WTF Ann Coulter, you really tweeted this "
Arlen Specter has just switched to the Dead Party."
Did you really think that you were being witty, funny, or classy?  Because, frankly, as a woman who just lost her father to cancer, I find your comments to be disrespectful, harsh and out of bounds.
When I saw the breaking news that Arlen Specter had died, I turned to Twitter to see what was out there.  
John McClain, being the mature adult tweeted, "Arlen Specter - a dear friend who served his state and nation with honor and distinction. RIP."  
Did I always agree with Arlen. No. But did I get him. Yes.  

Why? You always knew where you stood with him. He was an independent minded champion of the great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. 

He gave us a lot of material to criticize him about, but as a woman, I knew he firmly was in my corner, and this is not just about abortion. 

He was a good family man, a true Philadelphian, and he loved EVERYTHING Philadelphia, from sports, to Penn, to talk radio.  I will miss sneaking a peek at him on the squash courts!

I used to call myself an Arlen Specter Republican when I first moved here, because he made sense to me.  The tent used to be a lot bigger.  But as the tent no longer had room for folks like us, so Arlen and the rest of us moved to a different tent.   
                                                                                              The last six weeks have taught me a lot about death, and how people say all sorts of awkward things to you when they are trying to be supportive when you have lost a loved one.  But no one deserves to get shit on like this.  

The Specter family is mourning the loss a husband, father and grandfather.  They will gather to share their grief like my family did last month.  I for one, extend to them my deepest condolences and will say to you what many said to me about my father, "Your father made a difference in my life."  It made me cry every time, but I knew that when they said it, they meant it.


So to the Specter Family, "Your father made a difference in my life.  He challenged me to think differently about politics, he made me proud to be a transplanted Philadelphian, and I want to thank you for sharing him with this great state and nation."  


Arlen, when I pull that lever on election day, I will have you on my mind, just as my dad will me in that booth.  I'm pretty sure you two just cancelled out each other's votes..



Arlen




Dad at a Republican Party Gathering circa 1965




1 comment:

  1. Coulter has always stooped to the lowest level possible in order to get publicity. Arlen Specter was a dedicated public servant who deserved better. In fact, we all deserve better than Coulter trash.

    ReplyDelete